The OBG was established circa 1814 and was initially used by the Anglicans, later Dutch Reformed and Roman Catholic sections were added. The Garden of Remembrance was originally the Naval Cemetery, under the care of the British War Graves Commission and later the National Monuments Council, who made a grant to the Simon’s Town Municipality - while the Dutch section was looked after by the Bloemfontein Boer War authorities. The National Monuments Council ceased to exist in 1994 and care of the OBG has been largely sporadic, with the Simon’s Town Historical Society doing their best to maintain it, including spending R15000 on the repair of the boundary wall. Weeding and the repair of gravestones is also undertaken. Much is still to be done and volunteers and donations would be greatly appreciated.
In terms of our registration with Heritage Western Cape as a conservation body, the Society has undertaken to do a survey of all the historic buildings, sites and objects within our area which stretches from Glencairn to Cape Point. The survey entails gathering enough information to classify these items and present them for registration in terms of the Act thus ensuring their future protection. There are many buildings over 60 years old that need to be researched, documented and classified. This is a huge task and anyone willing to assist in any way should contact David at email@example.com
A large number of old Drawings and Plans from the Dockyard have been stored in the Naval Museum. In a co-operative project the Society and the Naval Heritage Trust are sorting and cataloguing this collection and providing suitable storage where possible. A list of the items so far catalogued can be viewed on request at the Simon’s Town Museum.