THE SEARCH FOR BRENTON’S BEACON :
The first record referring to the alleged “Brenton’s Beacon” was found as an annotation “Beacon erected by Commissioner Sir J.B” on the back of a painting done by Mary Brenton in 1818. Mary was the sister of Sir Jaheel Brenton who was the Naval Commissioner at the time. No later paintings or sketches show this beacon nor could any written records be found referring to it and its purpose.
The beacon was discussed with someone whose hobby was “collecting beacons” and he was of the opinion that there was never a beacon in the position shown and that probably the prominent rock shown in Fig 1 below was interpreted as being the beacon.